Monday, April 20, 2015

Appeal of Disciplinary Council Decision

Appeal of Disciplinary Council Decision
April 5, 2015
The First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints In Care of Dan Barker, President of the Gilbert Highland West Stake
[Hand delivered]
Dear Presidents Monson, Eyring and Uchtdorf:

I have been excommunicated. The proceeding was initiated by Bishop Walch and President Barker, who were told by some un-named person whom I was not allowed to face, that I was reading the writings of a man named Denver Snuffer, and performing the church's ordinances, specifically sacrament and baptism. 

Over the next weeks I met with President Barker in a series of interviews, answering his questions. I "confessed" to him I was performing ordinances but that they were not the church's ordinances as they differ in substance and form, and that I was not teaching them as the church's, nor that I was authorized by the church to do them, but that they were my private devotions between myself and my God, and that if I was authorized, it was by God or not at all, therefore judge ye aright for the scriptures are laid before you, will you also wrest them to your destruction?

Joseph Smith taught: "Ordinances instituted in the heavens before the foundation of the world, in the priesthood, for the salvation of men, are not to be altered or changed." (TPJS p. 308). 

As I prayed and pondered this contradiction between the unchanged ordinances of Joseph, Isaiah and Adam, and the current church's changed ordinances, I read of Alma meeting privately to do ordinances out of the sight of the then current kingdom of God on the earth. In other words, Alma "hid" or kept his devotions "private". I also learned from Isaiah that: 

"The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant." (Isaiah 24:5)

When Joseph Smith, Isaiah, (whom Moroni vouches for in Mormon 8:23, Nephi vouches for in 2 Nephi, and Christ vouches for and quotes more than any other in His lifetime), President Benson, and Jesus Christ all agree in scripture about a topic, in direct contradiction to the "current church doctrine", then that grabs my attention. What is a lad as ignorant and foolish as I to do? I took James at his word and I asked God. I have followed Christ's word as exactly as I could by remaining in honor with the church, insofar as it was in my power, while pursuing God's face privately, as scripture mandates in the words of all the holy prophets, including Christ, by performing unchanged ordinances. 

Why not leave me alone and let me worship? I have done no harm to the church, rather I have done, as Elder Packer lamented in 2010, what too few have done. I have obtained power in the priesthood in the only way it can be obtained: by doing the ordinances undefiled and unadulterated before God, restoring the everlasting covenant with the Fathers by so doing, and thereby removing the condemnation that threatened to leave waste to the whole world unless a child turn and face them. All this because of my unworthiness before The Lord. It was and is not any great righteousness on my part, for I am less than the dust to be sure. But, rather, it is because of obedience to law, humility and repentance. I claim no position other than that of the least. 

For this President Barker threatened to excommunicate my wife and I, and all of our 7 children, ages 6 to 19. However, remembering their ages and the reaches of his jurisdiction, he then clarified action against those who had been baptized into the church, if we did not stop immediately. Later however, President Barker sent out a text saying he had received further direction from Salt Lake and from Elders Corbridge and Greer and that he  had been given direction by these higher ups to not excommunicate my children, but did receive direction to proceed with excommunicating me if I did not stop performing ordinances, and my wife for believing as I did and partaking of the ordinances with me. 

I was told of a section of the Church Handbook of Instructions that mandated discipline for doing the church's ordinances without its permission. I again reiterated these were private devotions and I had come closer to God by following them as the book of Mormon directs and instructs, by doing and not only saying, as President Benson counseled us we must do to remove the condemnation which remains upon the church to this day (at least according to President Benson). (See D&C 84:55-57)

President Barker then redefined "authority" to mean "permission" as he tried to use scripture to show me no one was allowed to do ordinances unless President Monson allowed it (through my Bishop). I do not do the church's ordinances, nor can I find scripture that expressly forbids the performance of ordinances in private. I do not question the church's authority in public ordinances, nor have I taught so publicly, nor have I done so; nor have I told my leaders or the church they were wrong and must change. I support the church in its right to perform ordinances in the way they choose to administer them, and I do not question or think I have a right to challenge the church or it's leaders on these questions and do not do so now. I allow the church to worship as it may, and ask them the same. I know Joseph is a true Prophet. I know Christ. I know the Book of Mormon is true. Isn't this enough common ground to allow me to serve and worship in your congregations and God's temples?

I do believe I have a God given, inalienable right to privately worship according to the dictates of my own conscience, and that I in no way taught against the church or it's beliefs or it's authority. I believe these principles are coexistent and that as a worthy temple recommend holder I could be allowed to worship privately and retain my rights to worship AND serve in the church. Why would Gods church ever prohibit righteous pursuit of Godliness through the performance of unchanged authoritative ordinances which is outlined in scripture as necessary in order to see the face of God and live? (see D&C 84: 19-27). 

Sometime later I was given notice of a Church Disciplinary Council based on performance of ordinances and apostasy. 

The council used their dominion over me to sustain and ratify the charges of apostasy even though I do not fit ANY of the definitions of apostasy found in the handbook. Namely:

1. Repeatedly act in clear open and deliberate public opposition to the church or it's leaders. 
None of what I have done is "public". All of my worship is and was private. I am innocent of this charge. 
2. Persist in teaching as church doctrine information that is not church doctrine after they have been corrected by their bishop or higher authority. 
I have never, and do not currently teach any of my beliefs nor perform the ordinances, as " church doctrine", or as church approved. I am innocent of this charge. 
3. Continue to follow the teachings of apostate sects (such as those who advocate plural marriage) after they have been corrected by their bishop or higher authority.
I follow the teachings of no "apostate sects". I am not currently, nor have I ever belonged to any religious sect or church or organization other than the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am innocent of this charge. 
4. Formally join another church or advocate it's teachings.
Again, I belong to no other church other than the LDS church, nor have I in my life at any time ever belonged to any other church. I am innocent of this charge. 

My leaders did ask me to stop doing or teaching things, but these requests did not fit the definitions listed in scripture nor the handbook, constituting apostasy, therefore to obey such requests would have placed me at odds with the handbook and the General authorities, and scripture. How can I stop acting in "public" opposition when I am not acting in a public way, but simply worshipping in private? How can I stop teaching as "church doctrine" something I did not and don't teach as "church doctrine"? How can I stop performing church ordinances when I'm not performing church ordinances? How can I stop following apostate sects that I've never joined never been a part of, nor to my knowledge, don't even exist? How can I un-join or disassociate with another church I've never joined nor does it exist?

I have honored my covenants. I was and am worthy of a Temple Recommend. There is nothing amiss in my behavior involving my family, the community or the church. I have simply done as the most correct book instructs and in defiance of everything evil, performed ordinances exactly as prescribed by the voice of Jesus Christ in the Book of Mormon. 

The course of events makes it clear that the Stake, the Seventy and the Twelve have all been involved and bear some responsibility for this outcome. I need to afford the First Presidency the opportunity to bear responsibility as well. Therefore I am appealing the decision to you.

I would appreciate it if you would consider reversing the outcome. But if not then you should add your own “Amen” to this proceeding. These are important moments in the restoration. I hope you take it with the appropriate seriousness required by the trust given you, the importance of restraint by those holding priesthood office, and the measure required of you in judgment by The Lord.

Sincerely, your unworthy servant;
Jonathan Fahy Durfee

No comments:

Post a Comment